MUSINGS & OBSERVATIONS
- Kudos to East Aurora's Walt McLaughlin, XC chairs Ken Hans and Nancy Bennett as well as a bevy of volunteers who got the course prepared as best they could given terrible muddy conditions. Not sure if any other course wouldn't have experienced the same conditions.
- Special kudos to East Aurora runner, Celia Cocca, for taking the time and money to one up me and taking my challenge to the EA girls to the next level. Since most, if not all, the EA girls are blondies, I challenged them to change their hair color to something different for the meet. Well, they changed the rules somewhat...as EA coach Marti McLaughlin told me, Celia, a true brunette, spent considerable time at the hair salon to have her dyed to a nice platinum blonde color with a nice braid thrown in. Looked quite nice!
- Still amazes me the comments I receive about the Great Section6Runs Oracle predictions. Many of you either argued the selections, complimented the Oracle or asked me what happens when the Oracle misses on His predictions. As you know, I can't speak for the Oracle (wink, wink) for He is the one making the predictions. He once told me if he hits the 80% make, He's happy!
- Really like the new format for the awards ceremony by breaking it up and holding off from the second half of the races. I liked the fact that many of the schools still remained to see the awards and many parents were still around too. I only have two suggestions...The Section needs to get a bigger Section VI sign for the kids to stand in front of because they completed cover it up when standing in front of it. Secondly, can we not find an area to take the photos where there's no mud?
- Want to thank the WNY Officials for another great season and for enduring some really weird weather in the latter half of the season. You really make the meets run smoothly and fairly for us all.
- Concession stand review: Did anyone else over the age of 50 notice they were selling Ho-Ho's? I haven't eaten one of those suckers since I was in high school! I had to ask the concession staff if they were still called that at the risk that it could be a non-PC term. And yes, I did purchase a pack and wolfed them down between races!
- Rules comment: Does wind chill factor mean anything? Just saying.